Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My small pieces, both pottery and drawings I make for sale at arts and crafts shows.  I've had success with these 'miniatures' over many years.  For me, these function as exercises, to keep my eyes and hands busy making decisions, but still having fun.  Not so serious as a large piece or a formal goal.  Almost anything is allowed without heavy edit.


Miniature drawings, two x two inches each.



I also make tile form pieces out of clay.  Working with clay relaxes me.  I never intended to become a full-time production potter.  I need to mess with my hands.  The designs are made using stamps I make from found objects glued to wood blocks, or pressed directly into the piece, or from handmade stamps.  The tiles are bisque fired.  Then I use underglazes to paint into the designs.  Flat tiles have a cork backing to be used as coasters or hot plates--table top art.  Tiles with relief designs have hanging devices mounted on the back.


Miniature bowls, smaller than one inch high.




No comments:

Post a Comment