Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Took the 'kids' on a road trip to Lancaster yesterday.  The object of the adventure was to show them off to a jury from the Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen in order to, hopefully win "Juried" status.



I had to figure out a way to pack six pieces and assorted equipment: two easels, a cloth to disguise a table, business cards, and resumes--in a way that I could bring them in to the venue without hurting myself, the art, and not look like an idiot.  Fortunately I had on hand a couple of cardboard shipping boxes, very thin and big enough to hold my work.  There were even three strips of bubble wrap stuffed into one of the cartons.  I used them to pad around the framed artworks.  A previous life experience in packing and art handling came back from some deep crevasse of memory and worked brilliantly, if I do say so.






After I set up at 9 am, I had an hour and a half to wander around the town.  I had been directed to the Guild's store a few blocks up the street and decided to check it out.  Besides seeing many things I liked--a couple of wood boxes with legs, some orbs of raku fired clay with a variety of surface treatments that gave them a gem-like satin surface.  There was a display of metal animal figure hooks.  I especially liked the rabbit profiles with one ear sticking out slightly as the hook.  I had a very pleasant time talking with Jen who works there.  She does wood-burned portraits sophisticated and varied textures and surface treatments.

Just before 10 am, I decided to also try out the cafe across the street from the judging site.  It seemed like a very popular place, lots of people at an off hour, not early coffee or lunch. Judging by the chili I got, I can see the draw.  While it was a little too mild for some people's taste, it seemed appropriate for the time of the day and my wimpish taste buds.  It had a deep, rich flavor and the ingredients tasted fresh.

I returned to the third floor judging area at 10:30 as instructed.  After a few minutes wait, I was asked to go into the judging room.  I was immediately congratulated on now being a Juried member of the Guild.  I don't know who was more please, myself or the judges. They seemed so pleased and excited to see my work.  I will receive a certificate in the mail some day soon and will gladly flaunt it if you ask.

Another personal goal and artistic milestone achieved.  As my sister-in-law, Kathy put it this morning when she called to congratulate me, I have been "Guilded."

Check back soon for new ceramic work--tiles and tiny pots-- and information about sales I'm participating in this May, just a few weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment